List of Best Automobile Insurance Companies in United States
- Liberty Mutual Insurance is an American diversified global insurer and the third largest property and casualty insurer in the United States based on 2011 Property and Casualty direct written premium.
- Liberty Mutual Insurance, founded in 1912, offers a wide range of insurance products and services, including personal automobile, homeowners, workers compensation, commercial multiple peril, commercial automobile, general liability, global specialty, group disability, fire and surety
- It ranks 81st on the Fortune 100 list of largest corporations in the U.S. based on 2012 revenue.
- Based in Boston, Massachusetts, it employs over 50,000 people in more than 900 locations throughout the world.
- As of December 31, 2012, Liberty Mutual Insurance had $120.1 billion in consolidated assets, $101.5 billion in consolidated liabilities, and $36.9 billion in annual consolidated revenue.
- With more than 200 years of expertise, The Hartford Financial Services is a leader in property and casualty insurance, group benefits and mutual funds. The company is widely recognized for its service excellence, sustainability practices, trust and integrity.
- The Hartford is a Fortune 500 company and one of America’s largest investment and insurance companies. The Hartford’s 2012 revenues were $26.4 billion.
- Named one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” for 5th year in a row
- Ranked in the top 5 by P&C agents
- GEICO is an auto insurance company. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway that as of 2007 provided coverage for more than 13 million motor vehicles owned by more than 12 million policy holders.
- GEICO writes private passenger automobile insurance in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.
- Rather than relying on agents to sell policies, GEICO uses a direct-to-consumer sales model and puts funds saved from not paying agent commissions toward the purchase of television advertising, with several campaigns running simultaneously in national markets.
- Its mascot is a Gold dust day gecko with a Cockney accent, voiced by English comedian and actor, Jake Wood.
- GEICO is well known in popular culture for its advertising, having made a large number of commercials intended to amuse viewers.
- With more than a century of business know-how to our name, Amica is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the country.
- Headquarters: 100 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI 02865
- Amica is a direct writer of personal insurance with auto, homeowners, personal excess liability and marine coverage. The company is known in the insurance industry for its financial strength and exceptional customer service.
- A++ (Superior) from A.M. Best Company as of Jan. 11, 2013
- In the J.D. Power and Associates 2012 National Homeowners Insurance Study, SM Amica ranked “Highest In Customer Satisfaction Among National Homeowner Insurers, 11 Years in a Row.”
- Repeatedly recognized for exceptional service in auto and homeowners insurance surveys by a leading consumer publication.
- Assets as of Dec. 31, 2012 – $4.5 billion
- Policy count as of Dec. 31, 2012 – 1.38 million
- State Farm Insurance is a group of insurance and financial services companies in the United States. The company also has operations in Canada.
- State Farm is ranked 44th in the 2013 Fortune 500, which lists American companies by revenue
- The group’s main business is State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, a mutual insurance firm that also owns the other State Farm companies. The corporate headquarters are in Bloomington, Illinois.
- Founded: June 7, 1922. Headquarters: Bloomington, Illinois, U.S.
- Revenue: US$ 64.3 billion (2011)
- The Allstate Corporation is the second-largest personal lines insurer in the United States and the largest that is publicly held.
- Allstate was founded in 1931 as part of Sears, Roebuck and Co., and was spun off in 1993.
- The company has its headquarters in Northfield Township, Illinois, near Northbrook.
- In 2009, Allstate’s total revenue was $32 billion, of which $26.2 billion came from Property Liability
- 2012 Working Mother 100 Best Companies – Working Mother magazine.
- InformationWeek 500 List of the 250 Top Business Technology Leaders – InformationWeek magazine. Allstate was ranked 11th on the overall 2012 list.
- America’s Most Admired Companies – Fortune magazine, Allstate ranked #5 in Property & Casualty Industry in 2007 and 2009.
- The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies has always lived up to its name by being one step ahead of the insurance industry, and finding new and affordable insurance solutions.
- Progressive founded in 1937 with the first drive-in claims office, became the first to introduce reduced rates for low-risk drivers, and then changed the insurance shopping experience by offering comparison rates on the Web.
- Headquarters: Mayfield Village, Ohio, U.S.
- Revenue: $15 Billion USD (2010)
- Employees: 27,250 (2010)
21st Century Insurance
- Since 1958, 21st Century Insurance has been dedicated to providing customers superior coverage and service, while helping them save money on auto insurance. 21st Century Insurance is part of the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies, a leading U.S. insurer of automobiles, homes and small businesses and also provides a wide range of other insurance and financial services products.
- 21st Century Insurance has nearly 2,000 employees focused on delivering excellent service to our customers.
- Founded: Los Angeles, California, U.S. (1958). Headquarters: Wilmington, Delaware, United States
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company & Affiliated Companies is a group of large U.S. insurance and financial services companies based in Columbus, Ohio. The company also operates regional headquarters in Des Moines, Iowa, San Antonio, Texas, Gainesville, Florida, Lynchburg, Virginia, and Westerville, Ohio.
- Uptown Professionals recognized Nationwide for the diversity represented in our senior leadership and board of directors. The group also acknowledged Nationwide’s support of diverse organizations, suppliers and vendors.
- Founded: 1926. Headquarters: One Nationwide Plaza, Columbus, Ohio USA
- Revenue: $30.6978 billion USD
- American Family Insurance (also known as AmFam) is a private mutual company that focuses on property, casualty and auto insurance, but also offers commercial insurance, life, health, and homeowners coverage, as well as investment and retirement-planning products.
- A Fortune 500 company, its revenues for 2008 were over $6.7 billion.
- Founded: 1927. Headquarters: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- In 2010, National Safety Council selected American Family Insurance as a recipient of its Teen Driving Safety Leadership Award.
- In 2003, American Family Insurance announced a $10 million gift launching the campaign to create the American Family Children’s Hospital at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics.
- Esurance Insurance Services, Inc. is an American auto insurance provider.
- The company, which is owned by Allstate, sells car insurance direct to consumers online and over the phone offering services to nearly 90 percent of the U.S. population in 34 states.
- Esurance has 849,000 policies-in-force, and also serves as a shopping and comparison site for car insurance in the 20 remaining states that it does not sell.
- Esurance has 1,900 employees in 15 offices nationwide
- Revenue: $872 Million USD (2011)
- For the second year running, Esurance has earned a top spot among New Jersey’s finest workplaces.
- Safeco Insurance, a member of Liberty Mutual Group, is a national U.S. insurance company.
- Safeco was founded in Seattle, Washington, in 1923
- Revenue: $6.29 billion USD (2006 Sales). Employees: 7,200 (2004)
- AAA, formerly known as the American Automobile Association, is a federation of 51 independently operated motor clubs throughout North America. AAA is a not-for-profit member service organization with more than 51 million members.
- AAA provides services to its members such as travel, automotive, insurance, financial, and discounts.
- Its national headquarters are in Heathrow, Florida.
- Erie Insurance Group is a multi-line insurance company, offering auto, home, commercial and life insurance through a network of independent insurance agents. Erie Insurance Group’s geographic presence extends to 11 states and the District of Columbia.
- Erie Insurance has more than 4.6 million policies in force for auto, home and commercial insurance, and more than 320,000 life, annuity and disability income policies in force.
- More than 2,175 agencies represent Erie Insurance in 11 states and the District of Columbia
- More than 4,500 Employees work at the company’s Home Office in Erie, Pa., and in the field offices across our territory. The Home Office alone employs more than 2,500 people.
- Erie Insurance is proud to be named a J.D. Power and Associates’ 2012 Customer Service Champion and is one of only 50 companies so named in the U.S. This marks the second year in a row ERIE has named to the elite list.
- Erie Insurance Group is ranked among the 500 largest U.S. companies, in terms of revenue, by Fortune magazine in 2013.
- Travelers is one of the nation’s largest property casualty companies. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has more than 30,000 employees, 13,000 independent agents and multiple market segments across the personal, business, financial and international insurance groups.
- Travelers has operations in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Lloyd’s of London, and the Republic of Ireland.
- In 2012, the company reported revenues of US $25.7 billion and total assets of US $104.9 billion.
- Travelers is currently 116 on the Fortune 500 list of largest U.S. companies.
- Mercury Insurance Group is an American automobile and property insurance company founded by George Joseph in 1961. The company is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA.
- It is ranked as the third largest private passenger automobile insurer in California, with total assets over $4 billion.
- Mercury also writes automobile insurance in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia.
- In addition to automobile insurance, Mercury writes other lines of insurance in various states, including mechanical breakdown and homeowners insurance.